Jim Bolin, Vice-Preident of Bolin Enterprises Inc. and Mike Bohannon, Bolin Enterprises Inc. Operations Manager and President of the Casey Country Club, envision the Golf Tee as a way to help increase tourism, play and events at the Casey Country Club. The offical measuring ceremony took place on January 29, 2013. After gaining the title of World's Largest Golf Tee from the Guinness Book of World Records the Golf Tee was set into place May 23th 2013.
About The World's Largest Golf Tee was constructed out of various widths of yellow pine wood, 60 gallons of glue and 120 lb of screws. The 6659 lb project took six months to complete. Future plans for the Golf Tee are to add an 18 foot diameter golf ball to the top of the Golf Tee and allow golfers to tee off from the inside.
Casey Country Club
In 1929 Bill Jones and several friends met, on what was then a portion of Mills Farm, for the purpose of laying out a golf course. They planned the layout of the course while standing near a log behind the present number six green. O. L. Lang contacted a Scotsman by the name of George Telford to assist with the design. Telford was a “Doodlebugger” and was in Montrose where he was drilling an oil well.
The Casey Country Club has a history streching over 80 years. The course, which opened in late 1929, was owned by the Mills Family until 1930 when the forty-three acres were purchased for $2500 to become the Casey Country Club.
The original course layout was significantly different than today:
Number One tee was where Number Eight is now.
Number Two was from the Number Nine tee to the practice green.
Number Three was from the current Number One tee to the big tree on the right of the Number One fairway.
Number Four was a par three to the right and across the creek to what is now the Number Two green.
Number Five was to the right of the current Number Two green and played as a par four to the current Number Three green.
Number Six was the same as the current Number Four.
Number Seven was the same as the current Number Five, but played as a par five.
Number Eight was the same as Number Six is now, and
Number Nine was the same as the current Number Seven hole.
The first meeting to organize the Casey Country Club was held in July or August of 1930. The following are believed to be the Charter Members of the Casey Country Club:
W. C. Turner, A. H. Lindsey, Huck Finn, Glenn Kite, Ryan Bertram, Frank Steppacher, Walter Fawley, Chas. Beavers, Bob Wright, H. V. Brunker, Fred Chrysler, R. D. Orr, O. L. Lang, O. A. Logue, C. H. Markwell, and Harold Jones.
In 1961, on Semptember 25th the Clubhouse burnt down.
Casey Daily Reporter Reports: "Fire of undetermind origin, but believed to have started from lightning, did several thousand dollars of damage at the Casey Country Club this morning. Fire was discovered about 1:30 a.m. by Benny Shiels, who lives just south of the course and called the Casey fire department, who were on the scene within a few minutes. Firemen took the tanker and hose truck to the clubhouse and fought the fire for about two and half hours, when it appeared to be out. One truck returned to the fire house and one stood by at the fire until about 5:00 a.m. then returned to the fire house.
About 5:15, Lincoln Bailey and Bob Davis came to the fire house and reported that the clubhouse was again in flames, and the firemen returned to the scene and quickly had the fire under control.
Damage was confined to the kitchen and northwest section of the club room in the first fire, but the second outburst, which seemed to be caused from a gas pocket in the basement in some way being ignited, as the west end of the clubroom was on fire when noticed the second time. The east end of the clubroom remains standing, as is the southwest corner, which is a storage room and office portion. According to reports the contents and building were partially covered by insurance."